Veterans Day

November 11th has become a celebrated day for many members of the armed forces of the United States.  On this day, some of us will stop for a moment and remember our friends, family members, or co-workers who had to go off to war to serve and fight for our country.  Others will visit the grave sites of those beloved people who unfortunately were killed in the line of battle, giving the ultimate sacrifice for those back home.

Others, mostly teenagers and little kids who don't know any better, will just see the day as an  excuse to get out of class to watch the school's program that remembers and celebrates the service of those in the military, at which they're more than likely to sit on their phones,  act extremely tired and bored (I'm actually guilty of this one), or talk loudly over the program and get dragged out of the gym or auditorium by their teacher.  It's sad seeing people who view this day as described in this paragraph, but in their defense, maybe they've never had someone go off to war in the family.

My father served as a member of the US Marines in the 1970's or 1980's during the Vietnam years.  I wasn't born yet so I didn't see or feel what it was like to have a parent off at war.  My mother hadn't met him at this time either, so they didn't know each other naturally.  He did recieve a plaque upon his discharge, and that plaque is hanging above my mother's desk in the office room at home.  Just another reminder.  A few feet to the left stands his army mugshot.  Man, he sure looked different back in the day.

Since my father's passing in June of 2008 Veterans Day has always had a very special meaning to me, just like Memorial Day.  On this day I always stop and think about the time my father spent in the army prior to falling ill sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. Even though I wasn't born yet his service still means something to me, as does the service of my friend's parents and the staff at school and my neighbors.  The fact that my father went over there and fought, something I'd never have the courage to do, shows just how courageous and brave he was, and it's at levels that I'll never be able to reach throughout my time on Earth no matter what I do.

I miss my father A LOT, and I will always appreciate the various male figures who have tried to help me out these last six years.  Your assistance will never be forgotten.  Some are still around, others are not, but their advice will remain with me and probably be passed down to my offspring.

Take time to remember the brave souls who ventured overseas to fight today, and maybe, silently say "thank you" to the many who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

What do you on Veterans Day?  Do you have family that was or still is overseas?  Sound off in the comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?