What Three Weeks Of Camp Counseling Taught Me This Year

I just finished two straight weeks of camp counseling.  There was another one before the two but I was home over the 4th of July week so I had a break.

There are many things you can learn from counseling, and I've listed out below some of the main things I learned this year.

  1. Giving a devotional is not so hard if you prepare beforehand
  2. It's usually a bad sign when dogs reek of compost
  3. Don't change yourself for other people. Live proudly.
  4. It's best to practice telling your personal testimony on your own before sharing it with an audience.
  5. I can swim a kayak back to camp from a thousand yards away
  6. Always untangle the ropes of the flagpole before flag raising
  7. Know more things about nature before leading a "nature walk" 
  8. Jr. High age campers need close guarding 
  9. My announcing skills can be put to use in more places besides on the job and at school.
  10. A guy can make girls cry through poetry. 
  11. Goodbyes can be both happy and sad.
I met a lot of new people again this week and last, and they were wonderful to work with.  I still haven't said goodbye to the camp for the Winter yet, as I have one more week as a camper, but the counseling is done until next year LORD willing.

The story hasn't had any progress made.  I'm thinking about starting a few new projects at the same time, and I will let you know what gets dumped over these next few months. 

Comments

  1. Hey Rollie!
    It was great to read this post...you had me cracking up! #3 was a good reminder for me, to not to try to please other people. #7 is hilariously true. I remember your stories regarding #8! :P Ugh, I miss Jr High camp anyway. Next year!
    To #10 all I can say is PFFFTT.
    I had a fantastic week at 3rd jr. Thanks for being super chilled out during supper clear & reset, especially when I dropped the mop bucket on the dining hall steps XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lilly! #3 was actually something you reminded me of, and thank you so much for doing that! And haha on #7 because Dawson had no clue what he was doing either. As for #8 I hope to see you at Jr. High next year LORD willing. I don't know how comfortable you are with a microphone but maybe we could do Quiz Time! And to #10 you should've seen Issac read one at 2nd Teen haha!

    And it's nice to know that I was chill when all that stuff was going on haha. I actually helped out my sister's cabin one night this last week because I simply felt like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem~ I always have struggles with #3 & eventually it just gets to the point where I go "What am I doing???"
      XD Dawson! That's hilarious! I think I was in his line; we kept pointing out twigs & branches. Haha.
      I'm really, really hoping to go to camp all summer next year, Lord willing. I'll either get a job or go to camp and I REALLY wanna go to camp. :) Actually, I've wondered if I would try out quiz time sometime in the near future, & I think it'd be a good thing for me to do, stepping out of my comfort zone. It'd be so fun together.
      #10-oh.my.word. I wish I heard it...somebody totally should have recorded it! Isaac cracks me up.
      Hey good for you! My older sister said once at teen camp she didn't know what to do with herself because she didn't have the regular jc chores! It would probably throw me off too.

      Delete
    2. Well next year we'll just have to be the first ones to have our hands up. I would've done it at 3rd Junior except Deborah and Hannah beat me to it.

      Stepping out of the comfort zone for me would've been the canoeing/kyaking class (never teaching that again)

      Issac actually read all of the titles of the other books too. Some of them were bad, but it was funny hearing him read them.

      It does throw you off because you're just not sure what to do with your life during those times

      Delete
  3. That awkward moment when the preview box says to prove you're not a robot & I can't even begin to try to read the small fuzzy letters: I must be a robot. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe you really are a robot and you just don't know it :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?