Happy Halloween!

Well, today's the day.  That day when children and adults like will go up to the doorsteps of families in their neighborhoods and immediately demand candy, but in a cute way.  Yes it's hard to believe that the simple cry of "Trick or Treat!" could be so....well.....rude in a sense, but since it's the holiday we put up with it right?
Of course this day has a name, even though the premise is that people dress up in costumes (one of my classmates is dressed up as a dog, collar included!) and that kids get candy.  It's Halloween! One of my favorite holidays, and the official midpoint of my favorite time of the year (9/1-12/31).  I remember being a little munchkin, always throwing on costumes and going trick-or-treating at the mall or dancing around at my old school's Halloween Carnival that the PTSO put on.  We'd roam the halls together and show off the costumes that either our parents created or we bought from the store.  Man I miss my old school!

But nowadays, more focus is put on learning.  Elementary kids here at Cherry don't get to toss out an entire day for doing things like playing games and watching movies.  Instead, they learn all morning long, and as I write this they are going off to do a cycle through the other classrooms with their costumes on, after which they'll come back and the entire elementary will cycle through here where I sit writing this (this class is temporarily in the Library while their new room is being prepared).  It seems like the holiday that used to be so fun has been really watered down for the current, technology dependent generation of kids ages 1-10.

Of course, there are many things to worry about out on the streets these days.  For those of you who are reading this from a bigger city such as Detroit or New York, where crime rates are high and people of ill repute and ill intentions stalk the streets 24/7, you have a lot more to worry about keeping the little ones safe. It's no longer a world where kids can freely go roaming down the streets candy bag in hand, instead it's one where most are pulled off the streets as soon as the parents get cold, even if the child is screaming for more candy and is holding a full bag.  This is why I'm glad to have grown up in a smaller area where crime is only something to worry about in the towns.

Halloween will be around for many years to come.  Up next: THANKSGIVING! My favorite holiday of the three major ones during this time!

Updates for those of you that want them:  ISU is slowly starting to send me responses to e-mails after quite the waiting period.  It's looking as if it's going to be one of the harder colleges to get into or do anything significant at. Oh well.  NDSU's campus visit is all set to go for two weeks from now, and I will be getting into the Bison Information Network! Yay!

The first NED meeting is Thursday.  Wish me luck as I stand up on a stage and present the new direction I'm taking us in (hopefully).

Happy Halloween!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?