Indie Songs To Play At Your Prom

It's getting close to Prom season here in the Midwest, and soon guys and gals will be getting glammed up to go out to some restaurant or ski chalet.  Hearts will be broken, the punch may or may not be spiked, and the decorations will look amazing.

For me, I've personally DJed more proms than I have attended.  Being front and center for multiple dances like that gives you an opportunity to see what works and what doesn't when it comes to music.  Back when I was still DJing proms, the crowd hits seemed to be anything from the newest rappers to the Top 40 hits of the time, which came from artists like Taylor Swift (Shake It Off), Mike Posner (I Took A Pill In Ibiza), DJ Coolsnake and Lil Jon (Turn Down For What), and even Maroon 5 (Animals or Sugar).  Listing off all these songs that were hot three to four years ago makes me feel old in comparison to my actual age.  The attendees would always run to the dance floor when any of these songs were played.

There were also hits from yesteryear that got everyone out to the floor.  You'd be surprised to hear that the music of AaronChupa still got folks to the floor in 2016 with just the right amount of strobe, and that Daruda's "Sandstorm" still got people all over the gym/town hall.  Even a Van Halen song that an area high school had chosen as their Senior class song got a full hotel conference room of jumping and fist pumping teens.  It's amazing to see how wide the catalogue can get depending on your crowd.

Now, those of you who have known my tastes in music recently know that I am into Indie and Alternative music hardcore now.  If you were to ask me what's on the Top 40 charts right now, I could only name a few songs, and most of them are probably already off the charts in fact.  Being so heavily influenced by these other genres that don't get played on the main radio stations means that I tend to experiment at weddings and other dances that I DJ by playing these alternative songs.  Some have worked, others not so much.  But this is one of the best parts of being a DJ who does so much for alternative radio.  Take a listen to these songs and see what you think.  Maybe, you'll use one or more at your Prom this year via DJ request. 

Anderson East: This Too Shall Last


Ed Sheeran feat. Andrea Bocelli: Perfect (Symphony Version)



The Head & the Heart: All We Ever Knew



AWOLNATION: Jump On My Shoulders



NEEDTOBREATHE: Darling



Above all else though, have fun at your proms this year.  And stay safe for that matter. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?