The Month of December

The views below are those of my own, and not those of Walmart Stores, Inc. or Free Range Sports and Free Range Sports Radio.  Please read with discretion, as some may be offended by the content of this blog post.

Now that the weekend's over, and more specifically Thanksgiving, I'm ready to celebrate the biggest holiday in America and around the world, Christmas.  Let me just venture to say that Christmas is not my favorite holiday, it's actually more like my fourth, coming in behind Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Independence Day.  One of the many things I don't like about the holiday is the fact that it sends so many people, especially children, into a mode of severe illness, not the mumps or chicken pox necessarily, moreover one simple little word: Gimme, and come to think of it, it's relative - I want it!

To the left we have a kid on Halloween, to the right we have one on November 1st.  I'm only kidding that's not what they actually look like on either day.  This image was just a good example to use for the point I'm working to put across :)

Lots of children are thankful for what they have, but then there's those kids that think throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the store in front of many customers will get them that shiny new toy, or that if they're "just good enough", or know how to cover up their tracks, the present they want will mysteriously appear under the tree late on December 24th or early on December 25th.

Some kids also feel that once December 1st rolls around they need to be extra good because "Santa's watching me extra close".  I have to say that first of all Santa and his elves wouldn't be putting out all this extra surveillance for just one month of the year.  When did kids develop that idea?  Which leads me to my next thing...

Yes Santa Claus may not be plausible in the least bit, thinking back through old folklore and such while pitting it against the Bible, but why spoil the fun and magic of a small child to put your own point across?  Bring this up to them later, like when your child is somewhere between the ages of 9 and 13, that's about the time I quit believing.  For now let them have their fun because once they turn into teenagers life becomes so real so fast.

Just like me, Santa loves to give the thumbs up!

I've always wanted to dress up as Santa Claus, and this year working at Walmart I could have done that if I so wished, but one thing prevented me, and that's what the main focus of this whole holiday rant is.  Can you guess what I'm talking about here?

That's right, I'm talking about political correctness.  Those of you who have seen me at Walmart while I'm on the clock know that about once every hour provided we're not being absolutely swamped with customers I make a page for credit card applications and the Layaway part of the store.  I do this to try and drive up interest in both programs for our store (and it's fun too), and it seems to be working most of the time.  However yesterday I was pulled aside and asked to change something on the end of my current announcement, that something being the fact that I was saying "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays", which is the PC term for the consumer world I guess, which makes sense being most companies are welcoming of all people regardless of skin color or religion.

I applaud the choice of showing different holidays to kids on the TV shows they watch everyday.

Hanukkah and Kwanzaa were introduced to me through the TV shows Arthur and Blue's Clues when I was around five or six years old.  I personally feel they are wonderful holidays, and that they have some awesome traditions, such as the lighting of the Menorah and the spinning of the dreidel.  I am a celebrator of Christmas, but both of these holidays are enjoyable.

It's not just "Merry Christmas" that's been hush-hush in the working world lately, but "Happy Hanukkah/Kwanzaa" too.  In a strive to be as politically correct as possible in this ever changing world, we've started saying "Happy Holidays" and changing Christmas Trees to Holiday Trees and Christmas Lights to Holiday Lights.  I'm sure that some things have changed in Hanukkah and Kwanzaa too.  Christmas seems to be a word that's slowly going extinct outside of the home.

Now I am a supporter of Democrats when it comes to the political side of things (minus abortion and same-sex marriage), but from what I've been following it looks like they're the ones who came up with this idea, and for that I shame them. I really hope this world doesn't get any further in terms of political correctness.  It's all downhill from here if we keep going the way we are.

This December, I encourage you to use the holiday greeting that you use, or the one that feels right to you.  If you're used to saying Merry Christmas keep saying it.  If you're the Hanukkah or Kwanzaa type then by George keep wishing people those things.  If you feel that "Happy Holidays" is still the way to go, bland as the term may be, then keep saying it.  Say what you feel comfortable saying, but don't feel like you're being forced to conform with society.  There is one exception to this though, be ever so careful in your workplace, as losing a job could be detrimental to our futures.  What your employer says goes.

The Nativity Story is probably one of the most reproduced stories in the Bible.

Lastly, I remind you to consider this one thing about the Holiday.  Christmas is Jesus' birthday.  Take time to thank the LORD for sending his Son to die on the cross for our sins so that we could live another day, and celebrate life with our families and friends.  I've already seen some kids really excited about this aspect of the holiday this year, and it brightens the days of many to know there are songs out there about it too actually.

"Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift" - 2 Corinthians 9:15

Before I go today, I want to thank you who are regular readers of my blog.  As of today I've been on Blogger for two years, and I never thought it would last this long.  I haven't posted as much in the past year, and I do apologize for that as things are getting really busy.  I am thankful everyday for family and friends, and that I have the ability to write this blog, as people in some countries don't have the freedom to do that at all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?