Burning The Midnight Oil




I love being up at all hours of the night.  Once a time of the day when I thought everyone in the whole world was asleep, I've of course come to find out that's not quite the case.  There's something magical about being up at this time, and while I'm not quite sure what it is, I'm willing to wager a few guesses.

First off, I love how quiet it can be between Midnight and 8am.  It's the time of the night when there are less distractions from social media.  Without these interruptions, I'm able to complete tasks that can be done outside of normal business hours. It allows me to put together a playlist or watch videos without push notifications rolling through on my phone or computer.  I mean, it certainly gets lonely at times, but it's always pretty calm during this time of the morning.



Second, there's just something so majestic about being awake when the sun rises.  It's so cool to see it waving from above the trees, and I'm thankful to be able to witness such a beautiful sight.  One of the first sunrises I saw was back when I was 10 and had just woken up from a very sketchy nightmare one cool August morning.  I was too afraid to go back to bed right away, so I went and sat outside to witness the marvelous view over Elliott Lake.  I was amazed, and now I take advantage of chances to drive into the sunrise whenever I possibly can.

Lastly, there's something peaceful and serene about night traveling.  I've made the journey between Fargo and Bemidji or Eveleth several times during this time frame, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful washed in a coat of darkness.  The one downside to this of course is the animals crossing the road, sometimes just popping out of nowhere and dashing across the road a split second in front of my vehicle.  Close calls are definitely a thing when talking about deer.  There's actually another part to this too, and that's people who refuse to turn their high beams off when following behind or passing a car on a 2-lane road.  I was lucky enough to receive a pair of night driving glasses from my mother that have yellow tint, but I keep forgetting to grab them when I'm leaving home.



Probably the most unfortunate thing about having this sleep schedule is the fact that I never get a chance to eat breakfast because I wake up so late.  That still doesn't stop me from busting out the griddle every so often to whip up some awesome chocolate chip pancakes and dumping a crap ton of syrup on them.  Trust me when I say they're delicious, even if you add fruit.  Eggs are pretty good at Noon too, especially with that new peach and pineapple salsa you can find at Walmart.

Getting up before 10am can be a struggle too, but there's alarms for that.  I find that the best way to get up in the morning is to use the loudest and most vibrant sounding ringtone on your smartphone.  Some of the newer ones from the Samsung line also come with a feature that lets personal assistant Bixby read the time to you so that you know what time it is without having to roll over and read the time on your phone.  It is incredibly convenient.



Staying up until all hours isn't something I'll be doing forever.  It's an asset in some ways and a burden in others, but I feel the cons outweigh the pros.  I'm glad to have experienced an all-nighter though, and from time to time, I'm looking forward to the next one.  So for now, I'll keep burning the midnight oil, and chugging the coffee.

Have you ever had to stay up all night before?  How do you like to keep awake?  Sound off in the comments and I'll be more than happy to reply back! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?