Table For One Please

It's the situation we've all had happen at least once in our lives.  We want to go get food at a sit down establishment, but we have nobody to go with.  Our brains begin to run at a million miles an hour, determining whether or not it's "worth it" to go to this restaurant or if we should just stay home and/or grab a take out box from another local establishment.

To me, dining alone in a fancier restaurant such as Olive Garden, Red Lobster, or even Buffalo Wild Wings is just something I don't do very often.  I hate sitting there all alone with nothing to do but stare at my phone or sit in contemplating silence when I could be doing the same thing at home with the food in front of me and one of my favorite shows playing on the television.  It seems like taking the food home with me is almost always the better option, but is it really?

Surprisingly enough, there have been studies conducted on this very subject, and so I chose to consult one for this article, linked here.  It turns out that there are some major benefits to eating alone at major establishments like the one mentioned above.  For starters, it lets you eat at your own pace.  Now, I tend to eat pretty quickly regardless of whether or not I'm alone or with someone, but every once in a while it is one of my days off and I have nowhere to go, so I can sit down and watch the cars outside or try to keep up a conversation with someone via text or Facebook.  Those two together can help me consume a meal at a much slower and proper pace. 

Another benefit of dining solo is that you get a higher sensory experience, meaning that you get to focus on the people around you as well as the sights sounds and smells of the environment.  Sometimes I'll admit they may be just a little overwhelming (I'm looking at you HuHot), but it doesn't quite distract from the overall dining experience.  And according to the report, this also increases overall customer satisfaction with the establishment.  It's a win-win for both sides effectively.

One more benefit I'd like to touch on here is that you'll make new friends if you're willing to branch outside your comfort zone and talk to some new folks.  Take my experience at the new establishment in the Osgood area of Fargo about a week ago (Southtown Pourhouse).  The environment was loud as can be and the place was packed also, but I was still able to sit down and have a conversation with an older gentleman about things from his past.  And that's not the first time that's happened for me either.  It turns out that dining alone can actually create conversations with other people.

I do have some establishments where I will step inside and eat by myself.  Places such as HuHot, Kobe's, Panera, and even Noodles & Company are all places where I feel comfortable sitting by myself regardless of how many people are around.   I find that it's important to find those places and force yourself to take yourself out for a meal to get more comfortable with being alone.

So the next time you're looking for a place to eat, consider going to a fancy restaurant, and simply telling them "Table for one please".  Perhaps after reading these benefits, it'll be a better all-around experience. 

What are your thoughts on dining alone?  Do you fear it or are you someone who embraces it?  Let your voice be heard in the comments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COMM110 Speeches - Fall 2016

A Post About Snow

TikTok: Why.... Just Why?